Monday, August 09, 2010

IOS4 Review

Okay so here is my in-depth review of Apples latest Operating System for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

Disclaimer: Please note this review focuses around the effects, usage etc etc of the iPod Touch only!

----

The review begins with Apple constantly nagging me via iTunes to update my iPod' OS from Version 3.1.2 to 4.0, after being annoyed with the alert/pop-up message for so long I finally decided to upgrade the OS to IOS4.

After clicking the "Download and Install" button I proceeded to be verified by Apple that I was genuinly installing the software, once all these minor technicalities were out of the way I sat back and contemplated the new features that were supposed to be available. ( I guess this is the right place and time to say that my iPod is a 8GB 2nd Generation Touch NON-Jailbroken).

Like so many others I ran headlong into difficulties straight away with the backup process taking a abnormally long time to even start, I researched it and various fixes were listed. However I found myself a new one, Popping open the Task Manager I proceeded to find the Apple Mobile Device Backup process. Highlighting this I selected "End Process" and followed the command through. In less than a minute the backup was complete and all the data was safely stored.

After approximatly 10 minutes of various restarts the iPod finally let me in to see the new design and layout, after another 3-4 minutes of restoring, all my Applications, Photo's, Videos and Music were all back in place. I decided to keep the screen tidy I'd organise my apps into the folders that were included in the update. Now I have a much tidier and quicker HomeScreen.

Personally I can find little or nothing wrong with the new IOS4, However having said that, I do note that for some unknown reason the iPod Touch varient of the OS has a "Airplane Mode" which typically denotes the transmitter for phone signals is turned off. However the iPod Touch doesn't have a phone transmitter, so therefore that particular function is obsolete.

Secondly the Wi-Fi signal interpretation is very very sketchy since it now reports that I have little or no Wi-Fi signal when I'm literally no more than 5 feet from the router/hub/access point.
Hopefully Apple will rectify this in a later update, as this is very inconvientient for those that have the IOS4.

My Final notice is that from what I can see the battery life is reduced, however I cannot confirm this until I have performed a few tests (Life with WiFi On/Off etc).

Overall here are my ratings for the new OS:

Looks: 8/10
* Still no wallpaper for the homescreen, Any reason why, Apple?
Fluidity: 9/10
* Sleek, Elegant and not overly cumbersome.
Speed: 9/10
* Laggy in places but overall fast and appreciated
Default Design Concept: 7/10
* Changes the layout of the first screens Applications/Utilities, to something Apple prefer. Next time please leave it alone?
Cost: 10/10
*It's FREE so I can't dock any marks for that.

Total Score: 43/50

There we are Apple, and readers. My personal review of the New IOS4, I hope this has been an insight into the new OS.

For all those who read this, happy browsing.

Thanks and tune in next time.
Dan.

No comments: